[fpc-devel] Re: Comparison FPC 2.6.2 - Kylix 3

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Mar 4 09:09:06 CET 2013

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On 2013-03-03 23:21, Marcos Douglas wrote:
>>
>> Sad. Instead of "fight", why not walking together?
>
> I'm not joining any "fight", simply wanted to know what the 'm' stood for.
>

>> I do not know nothing about compilers, but I know the Florian Klämpfl
>> will do nothing about you're saying because do you do not have
>> proposed improvements!
>
> You said it yourself... most of us know nothing about compiler coding.
> So how are we supposed to propose improvements! All we can do is file
> bug reports on things we can duplicate, or highlight issues. This is
> what Martin is doing here.
>
> 4.4 seconds (Kylix under Linux) vs 89 seconds (FPC under Linux)... That
> is just too a huge performance difference to justify. Yes, we all know
> the argument about more platforms, maintainable code etc, but that
> couldn't possible be the only reason for such a huge speed difference.

While I tend to agree in general, you would be surprised at the impact it has.

I tossed an idea to the core group to speed up PPU loading, and it was immediatly
torpedoed on solid technical grounds. The cross-platform argument is not easily
circumvented. Could be that I disclosed another reason why Delphi remains intel-only
for development :)

Michael.