[fpc-devel] Delphi anonymous methods

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Mar 4 05:42:54 CET 2013

On 04/03/2013 03:49, Boian Mitov wrote:
> Yes, really!
> Then again this is over 4 mln mines of code after all. :-D
> Thank you for letting me know what closure is :-D . Can you imagine,
> me being component vendor for over 16 years and not knowing what
> closure is :-D.
Did I? Wow, I didn't know I did. Didn't mean to neither. I was just
checking, if you accidentally used the wrong word. (Happens to everyone,
even the very best / so no judgement implied)

> Anonymous methods lead to a different way of thinking altogether and
> allow you to do things that you can't even imagine with closures ;-) .
> And they make the code infinitely easier to read, especially if like
> me this is a huge codebase ;-) . After all we sell well over 400
> components not to mention some of our other Delphi based products ;-) .
> Sure, if you have small code you can do just fine with closures, as I
> have for many years, then again I did just fine without having
> classes, and objects in the old days, and also did fine in the older
> days in Assembler :-D .
> So according to this logic, we really should be doing everything in
> machine code (as I actually did briefly 24 years ago :-D ), who needs
> new features such as those whatmacallit... ohhh yeahh... "compilers"
> :-D .
Well I give you the benefit of the doubt, and believe you. But that does
not help me, because I still do not know which case you are talking
about.... So for my benefit, please enlighten me with an example.

 From your above statement, I take, that you already used closures, and
that the big improvements really happened of a result of anonymous methods.
Just to be save, let me state the obvious: We are talking of dropping
the function name; and introducing the ability, to declare the function
anywhere within the code (probably the latter being the important). That
are the 2 only things, that anonymous methods do offer? (OR am I missing
anything?)

If so then I do not see how they save 20000 lines?
- The name is part of the declaration line, SO it should not affect the
line count at all). Unless you always write the name on a separate line
(which I would consider a very special case)
- the place of declaration also does not change the line count.