[fpc-devel] Comparison FPC 2.6.2 - Delphi 7

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Mar 1 20:52:44 CET 2013

On Fri, 1 Mar 2013, Martin Schreiber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In order to have a good benchmark for FPC I made MSEide+MSEgui Delphi 7
> compatible again.
> Source (master branch 2400be4999b254dbf335e4777baa33b13ea72649):
> http://gitorious.org/mseide-msegui

For a correct test, you should not enable debug information in FPC.
Or enable generation of turbo debug information and the corresponding linker map in Delphi.

Otherwise you are comparing apples with pears, as -D+ in delphi does not do nearly the same
thing as -g in FPC.

That said, it takes about 30 seconds on Linux on a laptop to do the same thing.
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8300  @ 2.40GHz
(A centrino - whatever all these numbers mean today)

Of this, about 8 seconds are spent in the gnu linker ld.
Taking away smartlinking removes 10 seconds from the total time.

So, at least we can say with confidence that the linker takes a
large part of the time.

I am not sure if the Windows version of FPC uses ld when smartlinking,
so comparison should be done with caution.

On linux, there are a lot of getdents and stat calls:
823 getdents calls.
14611 stat calls.
So I'm sure there is room for some improvement there.

What I remember from windows 2000 is that FPC/ld/etc is several factors
slower on the same hardware as when run under Linux.

Michael.