[fpc-devel] Performance of string handling in trunk

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Jun 27 13:37:16 CEST 2013

On 06/27/2013 01:24 PM, Sven Barth wrote:
> Delphi uses "String" as type for the "TStringList" and thus with
> Delphi 2009 and newer this is "UnicodeString".

I did assume this.

As I don't have a new Delphi I in turn don't know what exactly
"UnicodeString" means.

 From what I read I assume this means "System Encoding" and this again
means UTF-16 or UCS2.

And if all this is true,  when storing a - say UTF-8 - String in a
stringlist and retrieving it later to a String variable with encoding
type UTF-8 a dual conversion is done.

To me this seems absolutely silly.

It might be acceptable with Delhi that is Windows-centric and in fact
depreciates the use of codes other than the "System Encoding"

With a cross-platform tool such as fpc, a smarter (though compatible)
implementation should be provided.

-Michael