[fpc-devel] Performance of string handling in trunk

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Jun 26 17:09:05 CEST 2013

In our previous episode, Michael Schnell said:
> > There never is a conversion when assigning to/from rawbytestring,
>
> So what do you suggest should happen when assigning a RawByteString to a
> normal String ?

"Should" is a complex thing here, since there is no implementation  to test
with (and see if it has other consequences).

I assume a conversion should be inserted, so at least for non rawbytestrings
the runtime encoding always matches the compiletime one.

> The result could be a strange thing that is encoded
> other than the type requires. To me this behavior is a quirk go and
> should not be capt just for compatibility. .

The whole concept is about compatibility, and that is a race that has
already been run.