[fpc-devel] Performance of string handling in trunk

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Jun 24 13:19:16 CEST 2013

On 06/24/2013 12:43 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
>  I e.g. remember your strange (Delphi incompatible) opinions about
> RawByteString and encodings in a startup discussion.

Yep. As I did not have DTX to try it, I only read what I could find in
the internet and supposedly got it wrong.

I hope, now I understand that the type RawByteString ( = String ($FFFF)
) means "codesize = 1 Byte, never to be auto-converted to any
differently encoded String type variable.

I seem to understand that DXE does not provide a fully dynamic string
type (e.g. to be used as a function parameter taking any String(x) type
without auto-conversion. I still do hope that fpc will provide this one
day.

Moreover I do hope for RawWordString, RawDwordString and RawQWordeString.

-Michael