[fpc-devel] Performance of string handling in trunk

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Jun 24 13:07:42 CEST 2013

On 06/24/2013 12:43 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> This should be clear since a long time.

Sorry, but e.g. I don't know the "official" names of the Delphi 7
compatible "String" and the Delphi XE compatible "String" in fpc/Lazarus.

I suppose in DXE the Delphi 7 compatible String is not available at all,
while I suppose in fpc this String type will still be available when
setting appropriate compiler options.

I do now that that the Delphi 7 compatible String in fpc sometimes has
been called ANSIString, while Lazarus funnily stores UTF8 in the type
ANSIString, even in spite of the naming.

I seem to have read that in Delphi XE the strings also are called
ANSIString, even if they work differently from what (the currently
released) fpc call with that name.

So a decent grid would be very helpful.

-Michael