[fpc-devel] Performance of string handling in trunk

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Jun 21 10:36:20 CEST 2013

On 06/21/2013 09:54 AM, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> Again I'd assume that the memory allocation for the result is the most
> expensive operation with UnicodeString operands, independent from
> string lengths.

Do you suggest that with UnicodeString - even when using 1 Byte encoding
types such as  ANSIxxx or UTF-8 -,   the memory allocation is more
expensive than with the older String handling implementation ?

Why ? In fact, the additional some 8 bytes for the Code-Element-Length
and Code-Type definition (additional to the already existing
String-Length, Content-Address and Ref-Count DWords) should not matter
at all.

-Michael