[fpc-devel] Porting FPC to IBM zArch

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 25 16:34:15 CEST 2013

Am 25.07.2013 15:12, schrieb Mark Morgan Lloyd:
> Sven Barth wrote:

>>> Is it possible to "ask" the makefile for the true names of the
>>> supported targets?
>>>
>> Huh? What do you mean with "true names" and "supported targets"?
>
> You're telling him that it's possible to build using
> ...CPU_TARGET=i386 OS_TARGET=linux but where do those come from?
> Without being told by a developer or without referring to fully
> updated documentation, how does somebody know to use "i386" rather
> than "x86", or whether it should be "mips" or "mipseb"?
He/she doesn't know. Simple as that. If you want to build for a
different target than your host one you should inform yourself anyway,
because there are only very few combinations (i386-win32 ->
x86_64-win64, i386-* -> i386-nativent, x86_64-linux -> i386-linux on
multilib systems) which work out of the box. For everything else you
need binutils, sometimes libraries, etc.
> I can see that there's a MAKEFILETARGETS list in the makefile, which
> obviously goes slightly further than I'm asking in that it shows the
> valid combinations (i.e. somebody trying to build for powerpc + os2 is
> severely out of luck). But something like a "targets" target would be
> useful.

Well... open a feature request...

Regards,
Sven