[fpc-devel] Porting FPC to IBM zArch

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Jul 24 10:25:08 CEST 2013

Bernd Oppolzer wrote:

> - when I completed this, I would like to experiment with FPC, trying to
> build a compiler
> from the source tree, for a new target CPU and OS, that is, IBMZ. I know
> enough about
> IBM machine code, ASSEMBLER, opsys and run time systems. In contrast to
> the discussions
> that I saw already (targetting zLinux with ASCII codebase), I plan to
> build a FPC compiler
> which works on BOTH codebases - I want to know, where the issues are.

Hi Bernd, glad to see you've joined this ML.

Obviously my experience of both the IBM architecture and the innards of
FPC is limited, but my opinion is that the only achievable goal is to
first concentrate on ASCII, and later port to EBCDIC since this could
result in significant changes to the compiler frontend etc. However,
I'll obviously defer to consensus.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk