[fpc-devel] A lot of stuff broke, looking for advice

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon Jul 8 16:21:20 CEST 2013

On 08 Jul 2013, at 15:26, Anthony Walter wrote:

> All units my framework uses these types and those two units heavily,
> and
> with an updated fpc trunk compiler they break in a big way. I
> suspect it
> may take a quite a bit of effort on my part to get my codebase and
> working
> with the current trunk version of fpc based on the number and types of
> errors I am seeing, some of which are related to generics working
> differently (I still have a problem with interfaces in not being
> initialized properly at times). I am not sure how to proceed in fixing
> these as I feel like this will happen again with another future
> release of
> fpc breaking compatibility with the generics I've written. What
> should I do?

Nothing about breaking backward compatibility regarding generics is
documented at http://wiki.freepascal.org/User_Changes_Trunk, so it may
just be a bug (unless you are working in Delphi mode, and the changes
improved compatibility with Delphi as far as generics are concerned).
As Marco indicated, what you should do very much depends on
specifically broke and why it did, and without a concrete example that
used to compile but now doesn't anymore it's not really possible to
give any useful advice.

Jonas