[fpc-devel] where do download BinUtils for ARM - Raspberry Pi?

Michel Catudal mcatudal at comcast.net
Wed Jul 3 01:16:27 CEST 2013

Le 2013-07-02 07:37, Marco van de Voort a écrit :
> In our previous episode, Michael Schnell said:
>> That is exactly what I stated in the said contribution.
>>
>> And of course this implies that it is not that well suited for embedded
>> use (which is my interest and the target of most forum members).
> Any device whose I/O is not galvanically isolated and shortcut proof is not
> suitable for true embedded usage.
>
> And afaik these are all development boards, and none of them are isolated,
> making them basically only suitable to low power PC replacements tasks (like
> filer or home entertainement)

Actually you can add some hardware to take care of the isolation. The Pi can be very usefull for command line use or thru ssh. Graphic is a bit too slow, if you are used to a 4 or 6 core AMD64 you will be unhappy with the low graphic performances.
Unfortunately the odroid doesn't have this but you could use their USB IO interface and add proper protection needed for your control on that.

For very fast access I have no trust in a system with an operating system that sometimes acts like a trojan. I see these devices with OS only usefull if I need some video.
Let's says that you must retract a window if a tiny little finger is in the way as you are closing the window, response must be extremely fast, you cannot afford to have an operating system in charge.
If I had to do this with a board with Linux I would have a PIC or AVR on a separate board doing those things or bypass the operating system with interrupts. Without a separate board you need something like RT linux or remove the OS entirely. A bit of work
there though.

Michel

--
For Linux Software visit