[fpc-devel] for-in-index loop

Paul Ishenin paul.ishenin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 14:39:46 CET 2013

28.01.13, 21:20, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

>> Different people see different needs in language. There is nothing bad
>> not to use and not understand some of the language features.
>
> tatata, you should always understand everything :)

Very weak argument :) In your work you use system APIs and other
frameworks which are made in C, C++ or assembler. I believe you don't
understand everything and if you don't - you use the reference if
needed. The same way with pascal - if you don't want to learn new
features then use libraries as black boxes but if you need then use a
reference.

>> I would use anonymouse methods in pascal - I use them in javascript
>> when I need to perform something asynchronosly.
>
> Since you can do the same with simple named methods too, I see no need
> for creating the readibility horror that results of it.

It is a readability horror when for injecting a small piece of code as
anonymouse method in place where it is needed you *must* declare a new
named method (which will no be used anywhere else) few screens up or down.

> It offers nothing that objects didn't already have.

It offers understandable memory layout without VMT.

> Just trying to say that this is one of these things where Delphi could
> simply have re-instated the TP-style objects. The compiler compiled them
> anyway already.
> There was no need to burden records with methods in an attempt to make
> them 'object-like'.

Best regards,
Paul Ishenin