[fpc-devel] for-in-index loop

Paul Ishenin ip at kmiac.ru
Fri Jan 25 06:38:00 CET 2013

25.01.2013 11:47, Василий Кевролетин пишет:

> May be you understood what I'm from university in wrong way. It does
> *not* mean what I need to quickly do any changes anywhere. It means what
> I have resources /(time, motivation, direct support of very good
> programmer) /to improve good open project. Work will not have any good
> value for me if results of work will not have any good value for other
> people.

That's good that you have resources and motivation. The question is
where to apply them.

> I understand why you don't want to support bad features. But I don't
> understand why reasonable extension of existing feature (which will not
> break compatibility and which exists in other languages) is bad ? :)

You need to look at another Michael mail where he claims that he was
against for-in loop feature when it had going to be implemented. So no
suprise that he is against extending it now.

Michael, please don't demotivate our potential compiler developers :)

Let's look how suggested feature makes compiler worse. Some answers I
already know, some needs to be clarified:

1. Does it adds new (semi-)reserved words? No, index is already a
semi-reserved word which is used for property declaration. So scanner
will not be changed.

2. Does it influence other features than for-in loop? As I see, other
parts of compiler will not be changed.

3. Will it add much code which is needs to be supported? I don't know
but expect it will add not much. Vasiliy, can you put your patch
somewhere to look at overall compiler change?

4. Jonas, can you tell about for-in loop for objective-pascal dialect? I
know it implementation depends on some Objective-C classes. Do they
support current index/key return? Do you against 'index' extension for
ObjP dialect and in general?

Best regards,
Paul Ishenin