[fpc-devel] assumed bug in the RTL with ARM v5 regarding loading dynamic libraries

Thomas Schatzl tom_at_work at gmx.at
Wed Jan 23 14:27:07 CET 2013

Hi,

  I messed up with replying to Michael privately only first, then only
noticing that I hit the wrong reply button.

@Michael: Please try to avoid CC'ing additional people from the list in
addition to the list for list-specific discussions. The additional
cc'ing achieves nothing but people making errors. Thanks.

On Wed, 2013-01-23 at 13:18 +0100, Michael Schnell wrote:
> On 01/23/2013 12:16 PM, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> >
> > People are using the arm/linux compiler to compile and run a lot more
> > complex software than your example program, e.g. lazarus. Or build  and
> > run fairly complex Android applications to just mention some I happen to
> > have heard about from attending the mailing lists.
>
> Of course. But do they use pl and friends to load dynamic libraries ?
> (In fact I don't intend to do this but Synapse does it and I can't
> (easily) help it)

These programs use the dl library for the convenience of not having to
link to a particular version of a specific library at compile time.
There are many examples for that, e.g. graphics, unicode support,
networking, ...

I mentioned that the fpc testsuite completes an almost exact copy of the
program you described successfully daily.

I successfully compiled and ran an example program I reconstructed from
your vague description on an arm qnap (ts-119 turbo or so fyi).
Including instructions how to reproduce.

So no, it's very unlikely that there is a bug in the compiler or rtl.
Please try the example given first.

> > You did not state from where exactly you got that cprt0.as file from.
> I got it from the current svn trunk, But I in fact don't know if this is
> in fact what produces the cprt0.o in the "TAR" distribution.
>
> > The program compiles and the program prints "Hello". If it did not work,
> > I'd have mentioned it and asked you to file a bug report.
> >
> > Note that the use of "cmem" in that program is not needed, it's just
> > that I tried first with cmem, then added dynlibs. I tried with only
> > dynlibs too now. It still works.
> I'll check this...
> > Again, fixes (2.6.1) or trunk (2.7.0) or official distribution
> > (2.6.0)?
> You seemed to have recommended to use the link you gave me the to the
> official 2.6.0.

I provided links to all of them. So, given this last statement, it's likely
2.6.0. This also answers your question about whether the comparison of the cprt0 files makes sense.

Using the same compiler also helps reproducing my step-by-step compilation example.

> Do you think it would make sense to pull the svn trunk sources and try
> to compile 2.7.0 using the compiler I have ?

No. You should only make sure that we don't need to second guess the
context of your problem by providing the necessary information in the
very first mail.

Hth,
Thomas