[fpc-devel] "embedded" again

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Jan 17 10:01:37 CET 2013

On 01/16/2013 12:03 PM, Thomas Schatzl wrote:
> With the command line gdb, typically with very few commands you can get
> very far already.
I have been thinking about this and If it is really possible and viable
to use the command-line GDB with programs compiled by fpc, this adds two
very useful options to the list of the four alternatives:

  a) cross compile using FPC and just run it (debugging via code
instrumentation)
  b) install fpc on the Target and compile and just run it (debugging
via code instrumentation)
  c) cross compile and remote debug using Lazarus
  d) install Lazarus and FPC on the Target, compile and debug.

  e) cross compile using FPC and remote debug with the command line gdb
via ssh - gdb-stub - gdb - link (in case Lazarus does not decently
support remote debugging)
   f) install fpc on the Target and compile and debug with the command
line gdb locally, using an ssh terminal log-in.

I think I will try to do (f). At first trying to get fpc running on the
target by either cross-compiling it or by extracting the binary from
the  Debian package (see the other message in this thread).

-Michael