[fpc-devel] "embedded" again

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Jan 17 09:51:02 CET 2013

On 01/16/2013 05:31 PM, Luca Olivetti wrote:

> You can install debian on it, then you'll have everything you need
> (no, I don't own one, I just googled it).
You are right, but as I use it mainly for it's intended purpose (NAS)
and here the QNAP-tuned Linux distribution offers really nice feature -
while not preventing installing additional community software via ipkg
or from the sources, I'd like to stay with the original distribution and
install fpc via cross-compiling. Maybe I can somehow extract the binary
from the fpc apt-get-Debian-ARM package and just copy it to the device.
Any idea how this (with a PC finding, downloading  and unpacking the
files from a Debian package without using apt) might be done ? I also
might try to upgrade the (seemingly outdated and not normally
upgradeable) Debian on my old Slug to do the task. (Do you know how to
do this ?)
> If you don't want to replace the stock firmware maybe you could
> install a debian chroot and, again, have everything at your disposal.

Seems like a nice idea. Up to know am not up to date with what chroot
exactly does and how it might be possible to chroot and then install
Debian in the "jail".

Thanks a lot for these hints,
-Michael