[fpc-devel] "embedded" again

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 11:29:49 CET 2013

Michael Schnell wrote:

> There are different ways to use FPC (and Lazarus) to design and test
> "embedded" projects for "headless" hardware.
>
> Using a PC to do the biggest part of the software locally, as I
> described in my original post seems to be commonly agreed upon.
>
> But how to debug and finetune the stuff in the device itself ?

One thing I've done in the past (using a couple of different Modula-2
compilers) was to code in such a way that the program would run on a PC
as well as on the target. The algorithms were sorted on the PC with full
access to debugging facilities, the code was then moved onto the target
(protected-mode x86 bare-metal) where the greatest problem was
memory-access exceptions which were all caught by a logic analyser.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk