[fpc-devel] "embedded" again

Jy V jyv110 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 11:54:37 CET 2013

> So the options are either to do cross compiling (with Lazarus) or to
> install FPC on the target and compile the code there.
>
> What is the more viable way ?

I am facing similar choice (Odroid X2 Quad Core, 2GB RAM, eMMC),
I tried for years to cross-compile and remote debug, but this raises way
too many issues (setup of the environment is almost impossible),
and this is particularly slow development cycle due to compile, copy, start
remotely the process, hook remote-gdb, get to the point where you need to
debug, (almost a nightmare)

by far the only viable option is to install Lazarus on the target
develop on the target in order to compile and debug on the same device,
this should be doable nowadays since devices such as Odroid X2 have 2GB RAM
and Quad Core 1.6Ghz and very fast DiskIO using eMMC module,

the idea is to use a Ubuntu/Linaro image for ARM,
and get a decent setup of Lazarus,
if you are willing to setup such a system on Odroid X2,
then I am even ready to offer a bounty for the time spent, including all
hardware,
so we could share a similar development platform, and similar methodology,

Jyv.