[fpc-devel] String handling in trunk (was utf8 in 2.6.0)

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Mon Jan 7 14:01:12 CET 2013

On Mon, January 7, 2013 13:28, Ewald wrote:
> Once upon a time, on 01/07/2013 12:39 PM to be precise, Michael Schnell
> said:
>> On 01/05/2013 12:28 PM, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>>> Using whatever #xx#xx or #xx#xx#xx sequence represents the UTF-8
>>> encoding of that character.
>> Sorry, I can't follow. Does #xx not just define a numerical
>> representation of an 8 bit entity ?
>>
>> The interpretation in any code might be done later by any code that
>> digests the string.
>>
>> Am I wrong ?
> I *think* Jonas is trying to say that if you want the character `Ǿ` in a
> string you would either type
> - 'Ǿ' or
> - #$C7#$BE if you want to keep the source free of encoding specific
> characters
 .
 .

...or
- #$01FE and then the whole string becomes a Unicode string which is
either kept that way (if it is assigned to a UnicodeString constant), or
it is converted to some 8-bit encoding at compile time (if it is assigned
to an 8-bit constant/variable like ansistring)

(also just my understanding of what Jonas wrote)

Tomas