[fpc-devel] String handling in trunk (was utf8 in 2.6.0)

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sat Jan 5 12:57:44 CET 2013

On 05 Jan 2013, at 12:53, Martin Schreiber wrote:

> So compiled with -Fcutf8
> "
> unicodestringvar:= 'Best'#228'tigung';
> "
> produces a different result on fixes_2_6 and trunk? I assume in trunk there
> will be a compile error?

No. In both cases it results in a widestring with this content:

.short	66,101,115,116,228,116,105,103,117,110,103,0

I guess invalid utf-8 values are just copied through by the compiler. As mentioned: absolutely nothing whatsoever changed in how character sequences are interpreted by the compiler in 2.7.x. The explanation you quoted above (and which I deleted) applies to both 2.6.x and 2.7.x. I really don't know how I can say this in another way, and repeating it clearly doesn't help.

I think it's best if you compile trunk for yourself and test as many scenarios as you can, because I feel I cannot add anything further to the discussion, and I'm not interested in playing compile bot.

Jonas