[fpc-devel] Summer of code collaboration

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Mon Feb 11 10:22:10 CET 2013

On 11 Feb 2013, at 10:04, Sven Barth wrote:

> On 11.02.2013 09:55, Jonas Maebe wrote:
>>

>> As I've said before: I think the compiler and RTL should remain
>> Makefile-based (whether or not that is in addition to fpmake support for
>> them, doesn't matter to me), to make porting to new platforms easier.
>> "make cycle" is a very nice and easy test, and it would be quite
>> annoying if fpmkunit and all of it dependencies would have to be
>> compilable/working and installed before that could be performed. It
>> would also make the bootstrapping process in general much more complex.
>
> Then we would still have the problem of the outdated tools. Maybe we could write Pascal based substitutes for them that only need to handle the cases of compiler/rtl compilation...

The only problem I'm aware of is cp copying the read-only attribute under Windows and refusing to overwrite such files, resulting in problems when installing examples from the packages dir from a non-exported svn checkout over a previous install. That problem does not affect either the compiler or the RTL.

Jonas