[fpc-devel] Summer of code collaboration

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 23:17:38 CET 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 11:04:59PM +0100, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> In our previous episode, Henry Vermaak said:
> > > Sven already replied, but roughly  in the coreutils package. (the former
> > > findutils and diffutils iirc)
> >
> > Sorry if this is a daft question, but can't you use the msys coreutils?
> > Or do they have some limitation?
>
> IIRC they were less adapted to windows. I got a cygwin vibe there, the state
> within a state principle, with shared memory space and all.
>
> A quick test seemed to not really be a substitution, but probably would need
> a whole process to support them and get it stable enough.
>
> That also means that other cygwin problems (multiple versions conflict due
> to clashing shared version) could reappear too.
>
> I never spent more than an evening on the test though, since I rather get
> rid of all the mingw parts instead (think fpmake here)

This would indeed be the best solution, thanks for the background.

> > Last time I built fpc in windows, I didn't use the tools shipped with
> > fpc at all.  I built it inside an msys terminal (with patched fpc
> > Makefiles).
>
> If you need to patch makefiles, doesn't that say enough ? :)

I already had a full mingw/msys installation with up to date binutils
and coreutils and didn't want to install fpc's bundled outdated tools.
Patching the Makefiles was the only sane thing to do, since I spend most
of my time in windows working with the msys terminal (mintty, actually).

Henry