[fpc-devel] Random compiler errors

Adriaan van Os fpc at microbizz.nl
Sun Feb 10 21:47:35 CET 2013

I maintain a large 600.000 FreePascal project that compiles for Mac OS X. It mixes MacPascal and
Delphi compiler modes. Unfortunately the compiler is now producing random error messages, that
disappear on a clean rebuild. The error messages are not clearly reproduceable. Sometimes,
everything is OK, sometimes the incorrect error messages are there.

I suspect corrupted .ppu files, I there a way to use a tool (like ppudump) or a specially built
compiler to investigate this problem systematically, to get an idea of what is wrong ? I do builds
through a Makefile. I could image always adding a ppudump to the builds and then looking at the
output when random error messages popup, comparing the output to previous builds. Something like that.

An automatic "ppu sanity mode" inside the compiler would even be better.

Regards,

Adriaan van Os