[fpc-devel] Summer of code collaboration

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Feb 10 20:39:59 CET 2013

On 10 Feb 2013, at 20:12, Vittorio Giovara wrote:

> The iOS experience could be improved in many ways, for example in
> Xcode you cannot set a breakpoint and when you do so with gdb all you
> get is an assembly viewer

I don't remember ever hearing about this or seeing a bug report about this. It's unlikely that this is related to FPC vs LLVM code or debug info generation though. And adding support for LLVM is something different than adding support for LLVM + LLVM debug information. The two are completely decoupled, and one will not automatically get you the other.

That said, regarding some other things that have been mentioned in this thread:
a) the fpc llvm branch is completely out of date, predates the high level code generator that now should be used to add LLVM support, and at best can be used to get some ideas or code snippets from. I'm not sure how much is really usable though.
b) I do think that adding an LLVM backend to FPC is useful. As I've mentioned before, it's however extremely unlikely that it will ever replace existing code generators (for any platform), it would simply become an additional option
c) from the GSoC mentors list, I've understood that the best students are generally people who were already involved with the project (on the mailing lists, by submitting patches, ...). They are familiar with the project, the way contributions are handled, expectations of the existing developers regarding new code, and there is more chance that they are interested in working on the project in the long term (contributed code that is not maintained afterwards is much less valuable, because we already have a lot of code to maintain; if you have to maintain code, it's generally easier to do so if you wrote it yourself)

Jonas