[fpc-devel] BBB / PRUS / M3 and fpc

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Dec 4 11:06:51 CET 2013

On 12/04/2013 09:26 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> I'm not at all sure about this, but I think there are two distinct GCC
> ports: one native (propgcc) and the other using the ZOG (ZPU) VM. I
> think we need to be careful here lest we rehash the PRU confusion.

In fact I have no decent knowlage about Propeller. I just monitored the
interesting discussion in the ZPU forum when Michael Rychlik started to
do the ZPU VM.

BTW.: I once used another processor architecture with very limited
directly accessible memory. Here the SDK provided a VM which emulated
the processor itself, just with a different memory addressing scheme,
and the normal C compiler for that arch could create code to run native
and in the VM. Using the section attribute, could select visualization
separately for each C function.

So I seemed to understand the reasons behind the Propeller ZPU VM.

-Michael