[fpc-devel] Offer to repair and maintain the FPC community website (repeat msg, no HTML)

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 15:24:28 CEST 2012

On 2012-09-26 14:10, Marco van de Voort wrote:

> I asked Lazarus devels about that a fat year ago. (at the lazarus day),
> and IIRC Marc wanted to update the forum software (version) first.

Why not do the best of both worlds. Setup a NNTP server, then use fpWeb
(or even plain CGI will do) to create a NNTP Web Client (aka Web Forum).
Now all based are covered - users can use the communication medium they
prefer, and fpWeb (if used) gets another nice "real world" demo.

The WebNews HTTP front-end I use for my NNTP server is a very simple
(and rather small - 1063 line of perl including code comments) Perl
script. It acts as an ordinary NNTP client (so the NNTP server doesn't
know the difference), and the HTML in generates is rather plain too. I
simply dressed-up the HTML some basic CSS, to make it that little bit
prettier.

Hell, I don't even mind writing the CGI NNTP Client frontend, because I
have long been wanting to replace my Perl implementation with an Object
Pascal version.

Regards,
   - Graeme -