[fpc-devel] Offer to repair and maintain the FPC community website (repeat msg, no HTML)

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at geldenhuys.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 10:29:13 CEST 2012

On 2012-09-25 09:01, Cephas Atheos wrote:
> I mentioned PHPBB because it's incredibly robust, widely used, has good
> security, is minimally invasive to manage, can be scaled reasonably well,
> people are familiar with it, and it works.

My personal opinion is that I hate web forums! They are hard to
navigate, and hard to read topics, and hard to see who replied to what.
In the tiOPF project we switched years ago to the rock solid NNTP (news)
server solution. I wrote a small app to import existing mailing list
discussins so no discussion history is lost. Anybody can choose their
preferred news client, new joiners can easily see, read and search past
threads. For the tiOPF project I also setup a WebNews HTTP interface to
the NNTP server, so for those that prefer a web browser to read message,
that could be done too.

NNTP is still the most used public discussion medium on the internet,
and for good reason - it works very well.

Regards,
   - Graeme -