[fpc-devel] Re: FPC related fairy tale

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Oct 19 15:15:14 CEST 2012

On 10/19/2012 01:23 PM, Sven Barth wrote:

> The question is in how far the Fido is compatible with the Motorola CPUs.
It's nearly 100% code-bit compatible with the 332 (aka CPU32), there are
some additions to provide multi-threading and power-Management (e.g. the
"trapx" and "sleep" instructions) and some additional registers
accessible by the movec instruction to support certain hardware
features. But there are only very few dropped features: the only I know
is that the source and destination function code registers do exist but
have no influence on the hardware,

I don't think that this is relevant to  the compiler.

> Also please keep in mind that currently neither the heap manager nor
> stdio nor (likely) exceptions are working correctly. I need to address
> these issues first so that the port becomes fully useable again (as
> the target is to have again a native m68k-linux compiler).
Let me know when you want me to do any tests.

For me it would be the easiest way to have fpc compile the Pascal
sources to  ANSI C gnu compatible object code (*.a files ? ) so that I
can just link it to an existing ANSI-C project. Here the heap management
would be done by the GNU C library (or am I wrong ?). But I don't know
how the FPC RTL comes into play...

-Michael