[fpc-devel] Breaking change in FPC 2.6.1

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 2 12:18:46 CEST 2012

On 1 May 2012 23:48, Hans-Peter Diettrich <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:
> Simply specify the Delphi version, to which FPC 2.6.1 should be compatible,
> then the rest is clear.

In a way I agree here... It is damn confusing when just saying "delphi
compatible". Delphi is NOT a product that is standing still any more,
so FPC should start saying which Delphi version they are compatible
with - otherwise the statement is just plain vague and helps nobody.
This fact of "unknown to which delphi version fpc is compatible with"
is causing a maintenance nightmare in some of the dual-compiler
(Delphi and FPC) open source projects I maintain. I'm pretty sure I'm
not alone in this situation too.

So instead of jumping around with various delphi versions (a bit of D7
and a bit of 2009 etc), maybe start from the oldest delphi version
(eg: D7) and move towards the newest?

  - Graeme -