[fpc-devel] Obsolete wiki page?

Mattias Gaertner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Fri Jun 15 18:07:36 CEST 2012

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 17:31:41 +0200 (CEST)
"Tomas Hajny" <XHajT03 at hajny.biz> wrote:

> On Fri, June 15, 2012 16:30, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> > This page looks pretty obsolete and has mislead someone to think FPC can
> > not
> > handle multithreading:
> > http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Taking_advantage_of_multi_core/multi_threading_machines
> >
> > Maybe it should be deleted/erased or replaced with a link to the
> > multithreading
> > tutorial?
>
> Well, I don't think that the text on that page is really obsolete. The RTL
> support has probably improved and there are some very recent changes in
> fpmake adding such support. On the other hand, the compiler itself doesn't
> use multi-threading as of yet and no support has been added to the
> language as far as I know, right?

You are right about the language.
OTOH there are already several pages discussing this aspect in much
more detail. If the entry should be kept the text should be replaced
with links to these pages.

About the Introduction:
This was true 3 or 4 years ago. The "future processors" with many cores
are there. The new challenges are smart phones and keeping up with
Delphi changes.

About Libraries:
What does not work? What needs tuning?

Compiler:
I guess this sentence can be kept.

Build system:
It should be replaced with a link to the fpmake and explain how to use
its feature.
For Lazarus this is planned.

Mattias