[fpc-devel] Parallel procedures

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Fri Jun 15 08:28:14 CEST 2012

On 06/15/2012 02:39 AM, Alexander Klenin wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 9:39 AM, Mattias Gaertner
> <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>  wrote:
>> What do you think?
>>
> Why not -- although IMO it would be much better to have some
> lagnuage-level support
> for things like single-owner semantics.

Yep. I think parallel loops and futures like defined in Prism might be
quite  user-friendly.

Regarding an implementation fast enough to take real advantage of
multiprocessor boxes, a native support for Futex (instead of going via
the pthread library) might be helpful (no idea about the Windows and Mac
equivalents).

Maybe the (speed-wise) somewhat sub-optimal (regarding most C compilers)
implementation of (on some processors/OSes) threadvars might be improved.

-Michael