[fpc-devel] progress of freepascal for mips

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Jun 5 11:03:31 CEST 2012

microcode wrote on Tue, 05 Jun 2012:

> The best OS is the one IBM made for it, AIX which is a POSIX UNIX with
> IBM extensions (and great doc!).

It's true that IBM has great documentation. But AIX has quite a few
quirks compared to other Unices, even commercial/traditional big iron
ones like Solaris. My main pet peeve is that it does not protect
against reads from nil pointers for optimization reasons. I've
collected some more at
http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPC_AIX_Port#AIX_quirks

Another one, which isn't mentioned on that page because it doesn't
affect end users of the compiler/RTL, is that AIX uses different code
page names in libiconv than all other Unix-based platforms we support.
That's in part because the iconv standard isn't worth the name
"standard" (it defines almost nothing), but it would have been nice if
the IBM people could have added some extra code page names so as to be
more compatible with other libiconv implementations.

Jonas