[fpc-devel] Opening FPC base classes

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 19:08:34 CEST 2012

On 23 July 2012 17:12, Martin Schreiber <mse00000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Guys, please take into consideration not only Martin but also Graeme,.. :)
>>
> Graeme does not need it, fpGUI does not stream components, has no IDE...

For good reason. I don't want the headaches of designing and
supporting a full blown IDE. I also don't like the 2+ files per Form
that Lazarus IDE or MSEide uses, and which requires streaming. So I
created a Forms Designer that doesn't require streaming, saved me some
headaches, but also brought about some new features like... only one
file needed for a Form design, support for 1 or more Forms designed in
a single code unit, etc..

And as Michael mentioned, tiOPF is the only framework I use (and
helped develop) for ALL my database needs. tiOPF is even handy to use
in non-database applications. And Michael is correct - it doesn't use
TComponent or TPersistent at all. It does use RTTI extensively though.

I do agree with Michael though that issues with FPC's class designs
must be discussed on a case-by-case basis, otherwise you throw the
whole class hierarchy/design out the window.

  - Graeme -