[fpc-devel] Re: Class field reordering

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Sun Jul 22 23:15:43 CEST 2012

In our previous episode, Florian Kl?mpfl said:
> > Then "friend" classes as C++ offers and wait for this feature were
> > implemented before proceeding with the optimization :)
> >

> I never saw a C++ class pretending to be somebodies friend. iirc friend
> classes must be defined in the class which elements shall be access. So
> C++ like friend classes would help exactly nothing (iirc).

Indeed, and in our case those friends list would be in precompiled code.

As far as Guiliano's suggestion goes, then I rather use a cmdline option for
that (when compiled with that option it is allows to access private fields),
rather than syntax.  (but I don't know if the PPU format actually contains
enough info to access private fields, so this is probably not easy).

But since it is apparently not worth discussing individual cases over, IMHO
that means it is not worth compiler changes either.