[fpc-devel] MoveChars - docs.embarcadero.com ...

silvioprog silvioprog at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 20:18:15 CEST 2012

2012/7/22, Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be>:

> On 22 Jul 2012, at 04:54, silvioprog wrote:
>
>> There MoveChars* function (or similar) native on Free Pascal?
>>
>> (*) -
>> http://docs.embarcadero.com/products/rad_studio/delphiAndcpp2009/HelpUpdate2/EN/html/delphivclwin32/System_MoveChars.html
>
> As far as I can tell,
>
>   MoveChars(Source,Dest,Length);
>
> is exactly the same as
>
>   Move(Source,Dest,Length*2);
>

> Jonas

Hm... I think that MoveChars copy a string to another string, but
maintaining the contents of the second string (I'm without delphi for
test it).

So, I'll try to explain my problem ...

I am needing to move a string to another string, eg:

var
  d, s: string;
begin
  d := 'the on the table';
  s := 'books ';
  SetLength(d, Length(d) + Length(s));
  Move(s, d[4], Length(s));
  writeln(d); // the result should be 'the books on the table', but I
get 'the|?S  |?e table  ?'
end;

I could easily do this using "copy", but I'm trying (without success)
to do this at low level.

Thank you Jonas! :)

--
Silvio Clécio