[fpc-devel] Re: Class field reordering

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Jul 22 12:06:31 CEST 2012

On 22 Jul 2012, at 11:50, Martin Schreiber wrote:

> Sorry Michael, I do not trust that the effort is worth the outcome for me.

You're really putting us between a rock and a hard place here. It's quite tempting to retort with "the next time I'll just commit my changes and tell people to deal with it, because I do not trust that the effort of discussing them first is worth the outcome for me".

Of course explaining yourself and discussing costs time, and of course there are never guarantees about the outcome. That holds for everyone. If you shut out yourself from the discussion a priori, you basically force the other people to either
a) be the "bad guys" because they don't take your grievances into account (mainly because they don't know enough about them to sensibly think about them), or
b) just give up because they don't want to break other people's code like that

And maybe the worst of all: the next time you have a question that requires thinking or discussing, people may be less inclined to spend effort on that because you don't return the same courtesy in the opposite situation.

Jonas