[fpc-devel] Bounty for MIPS

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 15:03:32 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
<markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk> wrote:
> was tinkering with them, it would be interesting to have input from somebody
> who's actually used that technology e.g. to tell us why a high-level
> language such as Pascal can contribute.

If you cut features then Pascal can be just as low level as C.

In the specific case of FPGA I don't see why one would want to use
Pascal because the hardware languages have a lot of specificities
geared to hardware development and parallelity and 1 more important
thing: Many hardware languages are very pascal-ish, so they are
already similar to Pascal. VHDL for example is quite pascal-ish.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vhdl_signed_adder.png

So why modify Pascal to try to make it usable in FPGA when the main
language for FPGA development is already pascalish?

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho