[fpc-devel] FPDoc improvements

michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Fri Jan 27 09:41:42 CET 2012

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:

> Unfortunately I managed to supply the EasyImports.patch twice, please drop
> Mantis #21168 as a dupe of #21167. Sorry for the inconvenience :-(

Thank you. I will look at it.

> Starting with this patch I suggest further improvements of fpdoc. Except for
> the RTL docs, which require a couple of special compiler options for every
> input file, a package project can be shrunk essentially to the specification
> of these options:
> --package the package name
> --imports a list of related packages
> --input-dir containing all source files
> --descr-dir containing all XML files
> --output-dir where the output files are created
> --format the document format

As I said before:

Neither --input-dir nor --descr-dir will be put in the fpdoc implementation.

I don't see the problem of having to specify all files that are part of the
project explicitly. Make does it, Lazarus does it, Delphi does it, Visual
Studio does it.
All require you to specify exactly which files should be there when compiling,
and rightly so.

For the --input-dir there is an extra reason: the order of files is important.
Just like in the compiler, which must compile dependent units first, fpdoc
should first document dependent units. It currently does not know how to do
this by itself.

So, a patch providing these 2 options will not be applied.

Michael.