[fpc-devel] On a port of Free Pascal to the IBM 370

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 16:51:17 CET 2012

Sven Barth wrote:

>> Perhaps now would be a good time for a core developer to add appropriate
>> definitions to trunk, so that anybody working on the IBM port only needs
>> to modify files in a directory off ./compiler.
>>

> What kind of definitons do you think of?

Absolute minimum, probably mostly makefile stuff so that make in
./compiler would correctly pick up ./compiler/s390, possibly initially
populated with the MIPS stuff from trunk + my fudges.

> By intuition I suggested MIPS as the base, because its a smaller target
> in FPC (and m68k is in no shape to be used as a base...).
>
> I don't know whether the high level code generator Jonas implemented for
> the JVM branch will be of any help here.

I think you're probably right. Of the architectures even
part-implemented I think MIPS is about the nearest- certainly in terms
of its register model.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk