[fpc-devel] On a port of Free Pascal to the IBM 370

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 18 16:33:48 CET 2012

Am 18.01.2012 12:51, schrieb Hans-Peter Diettrich:
> Sven Barth schrieb:
>
>> 1.
>>
>> You wrote that you use the source code of FPC 2.6.0 and copied the
>> "compiler" and "rtl" directories to some other "workplace". I suggest
>> you to use a SVN checkout of the development version (you can find the
>> links here: http://www.freepascal.org/develop.var (at "Connect to
>> Source Repository with SVN")), because than you can more easily revert
>> back something. Also there were quite a few changes from 2.6.0 to
>> 2.7.1 and thus it's better to work with the most recent source.
>
> I wouldn't suggest to use 2.7 (trunk) as the development base, with
> Unicode and other features under development. Once a machine and RTL has
> been implemented for 2.6, it should not be so hard to merge it into trunk.

I personally prefer to work in trunk no matter what. This way I can
easily retrieve fixes for problems I encountered while developing my own
feature, target, whatever.

Additionally trunk has become quite stable again (here and there some
hiccups because of the fpmake conversion, but they are usually fixed at
the next day).

> I also would suggest git for all experiments, with better branch, merge
> and revert capabilites than SVN offers.

Nevertheless the SVN server should be used as a base. I used git-svn
quite successfully when working on generics.

Regards,
Sven