[fpc-devel] TBytes

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Feb 28 12:18:07 CET 2012

In our previous episode, Martin Schreiber said:
> > think that is still bad though, but if you switch typing string to explicit
> > ansistring, there is no rush), but I think at least public
> > programming interfaces should be free of such gotchas.
> >
> [...]
>
> Then please implement such a handy character string compatible automatic
> memory managed buffer type.

If it IS 1-byte character data, ansistring is fairly ok. The whole
discussion was about stuffing binary data in a character type.

> This was about a case where it was not character data.
> And please don't wait until Delphi has made it or Delphi changed string
> handling completely again which seems to be possible according a thread
> with Allen Bauer in Embarcadero forum. And please implement it before
> AnsiStrings can't be used for the purpose anymore.

If you care about the repeated addition stuff, you should probably be check
out tstringbuilder.  It is said to performance better with string
concatenation then ansistring.  I never use it though, but that is partially
also because currently I don't work much with character data.