[fpc-devel] System 370: Episode 3. Addressing and it's limits Part One!

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Feb 10 10:33:03 CET 2012

steve smithers wrote:

> Thirdly, it should be noted here that if the intention is to provide support on
> Hercules based systems, that Hercules allows us to use the newer instructions
> introduced by the processor upgrades even though we are using processors that
> shouldn't, in theory, support them.

If Hercules is configured as an S/390 to keep the guest operating system
(e.g. Linux) happy, is it possible to validate that a binary is
completely safe to run on an S/370, i.e. contains no 390-specific features?

> This doesn't apply to providing 31 or 64 bit
> addressing however, as considerable operating system support is required to
> handle these modes.

Although the OS/380 project appears to have made major progress on this.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk