[fpc-devel] Episode 4. Addressing and it's limits Part Two

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Feb 8 11:34:20 CET 2012

Hans-Peter Diettrich wrote:
> steve smithers schrieb:
>
>> Regardless of what you may believe, FreePascal is not the first
>> compiler to be
>> implemented on 370 architecture.
>
> I.e. you can study how they create code, before you reinvent the wheel :-)

:-) Had occurred to me as well, although obviously a lot is dictated by
FPC's higher-level parsing and structure. Might still be very useful for
getting calling conventions etc. right.

I've seen comment that VS/Pascal was used by IBM to write at least some
system software, and then there is obviously P4 Pascal which has been
ported to at least some of the readily-available S/3x0 operating systems.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk