[fpc-devel] Changing Windows API A routines in SysUtils to W in Windows NT

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 19:54:43 CET 2012

> As you know, we are very keen on backwards compatibility....

Ummm, I'll need to investigate that. But if it seams risky we could
always add "and (DefaultSystemCodePage = CP_UTF8)" to the if, which
would disable it for legacy code and enable it only for Unicode
applications. If you use SetMultiByteConversionCodePage then you are
clearly saying you desire Unicode support.

On Mon, Feb 6, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Thaddy <thaddy at thaddy.com> wrote:
> IMO This should not be done that way (at all):
> MS does it by respecting the PE flag for unicode and expects strings accordingly: If the PE says it's unicode, a default string should
> be unicode, (so apiW) if the header says ansi the default should be apiA.

The Microsoft way is not the same as the Free Pascal way. We are not
required to immitate them when implementing our routines.

The Microsoft way has nasty side effects:
1> makes it impossible to support Unicode and support Windows 9x at
the same time, but I doubt that Free Pascal wants to drop Windows 9x
support (even if it is obsolete).
2> Breaks the interface because the string type changed

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho