[fpc-devel] AMD & Intel CPUCount

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Dec 28 21:15:13 CET 2012

In our previous episode, Ewald said:
> > In our previous episode, Sven Barth said:
> >> CPUCount on Delphi does return the number of HT cores. E.g. "8" on an
> >> Intel i7 QuadCore processor.
> > Then I really wonder what it is good for.
> For giving the program(mer) an idea?

"An idea" is IMHO not a wrong by a factor two :-)

If Intel ever goes to four fold SMT  (like Sun did), it is even worse.

> As a default value for use in
> configfiles (e.g. `-1 cores` = autodetect)?

That is what I thought originally too, but if two nearly the same machine
(i5 and its corresponding i7) differ by a factor 2, IMHO it is useless, and
wiser to default to 2 until the user adjusts it.  (or 1 if you also target
an audience with a lot of legacy machines)