[fpc-devel] Feature announcement: Extension of TThread's interface

waldo kitty wkitty42 at windstream.net
Fri Dec 28 19:02:30 CET 2012

On 12/28/2012 10:46, patspiper wrote:
> On 28/12/12 17:41, patspiper wrote:
>> On 28/12/12 17:00, Ewald wrote:
>>> As I said, I didn't know formats of /proc/cpuinfo differ over
>>> distributions/os'es, so it isn't safe to use this approach since all of the
>>> sudden a simly system update *might* just break your application.
>> True. A better bet would be to look for the code that produces the cpuinfo,
>> and use that code directly.
> Try lscpu -p

FWIW: i wanted to try this on my ubuntu hardy 8.04.4 install but lscpu was not
found so i spoke to uncle google and turned up the following post on another
list... note the last sentence in the last paragraph ;)

[quote]
Re: [Trisquel-users] Is there a simple command to find out your architecture?

Michał Masłowski Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:11:45 -0700

 > lscpu seems nice. Is it sufficient? Is it pre-installed with other
 > free distros? It is included in util-linux package.

Outputs on an x86_64 machine with x86_64 Parabola, x86_64 virtual
machine with i686 BLAG and mips64 machine with Parabola (mips64el)
suggest it being ok (for x86_64 it will tell that there is a 64-bit "CPU
op-mode", for most other architectures just the "Architecture" field
obviously states what's needed).

Practically all non-embedded distros have util-linux, the 2.15-rc1
release is the first one including lscpu (easy to check using git).  Not
all free distros have it in the newest official stable release,
gNewSense 2.3 probably has an older one since Ubuntu Hardy has (although
it's easy to use uname -m and /proc/cpuinfo in such cases, like lscpu
internally does).
[/quote]