[fpc-devel] Forwarded message about FPC status

Henry Vermaak henry.vermaak at gmail.com
Mon Dec 24 17:45:34 CET 2012

On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 05:19:58PM +0100, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> BTW, I actually think about to fork Free Pascal. Not in the near future but
> the primary goals are defined already:
>
> - Back to the roots.

What are the roots?

> - Add the necessary to build the most productive universal programming
> language.
> - Remove the not necessary.

Subjective, requirements differ.  I assume this definition of
"productive" and "necessary" will be dictated by you and drive other
people away from the project.  Just like e.g. your coding style has
previously.

> - Produce at least as good code as Delphi 7.
> - Compile at least as fast as Delphi 7.

You know that sacrifices need to be made to make a compiler cross
platform and easily portable.  You can't have it all.

It will be a shame to see your considerable talent wasted on another
project with a bus factor of approximately 1.

Henry