[fpc-devel] Forwarded message about FPC status

Martin Schreiber mse00000 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 11:23:28 CET 2012

On Friday 21 December 2012 18:16:06 Florian Klämpfl wrote:
> Am 21.12.2012 09:23, schrieb Martin Schreiber:

> >> It narrows basically down to the fact that fpc lacks developers and
> >> contributors, or do I miss something?
> >
> > Don't you think after more than a year of decision-making about Unicode
> > it is necessary for a serious compiler to actually make and communicate a
> > decision?
>
> See mail from Michael.

Thanks.

> > Don't you think for a serious compiler there should be communicated
> > design goals
>
> The mission goal of FPC is: develop an open source pascal compiler
> written in pascal in a community effort.

Thanks.

> > and the missing pieces and necessary boring improvements should be done
> > before adding sexy new things?
>
> Maybe people should indeed first work on the compiler instead of
> developing another gui and ide.

In 1999? There was no other useful gui and ide for Free Pascal IIRC.

> I cannot tell you neither any other
> developer what they have to develop. We could close down all write
> accesses to fpc svn till the features you need are developed but I fear
> you won't get them either this way. People would just fork fpc or fpc
> would die. So what do you propose?

I propose to extend and render more precisely the mission goals of FPC and to
concentrate the power on the defined goals.

> > Or is FPC simply a playground for the FPC-developers?
> > Then that should be
> > communicated too and I probably was wrong to invest so much time into the
> > development of MSEide+MSEgui.
>
> If nobody is interested in features you need, bad luck for you, you have
> three possibilities: develop them yourself, pay somebody to develop them
> or use another compiler.

Thanks for the message.
I must say, in MSEide+MSEgui project the things are handled a little bit
different. For example I never planned to internationalize MSEide because it
complicates things, is a boring task and I did not see a benefit. Now a
Russian speaking user convinced me, that MSEide can be used in Russian
schools only, if translated to Russian. I liked the idea to use our loved
Free Pascal in schools, so I took the boring task and moved the string
constants to tstringcontainer so it can be translated. Remember, FPC does not
support Unicode resource strings up to now. ;-)

Martin