[fpc-devel] Re: Building the Android branch

Thomas Schatzl tom_at_work at gmx.at
Thu Dec 20 10:19:23 CET 2012

Hi,

On Wed, 2012-12-19 at 17:18 +0100, Sven Barth wrote:
> Am 19.12.2012 16:42, schrieb Thomas Schatzl:
> > On Wed, 2012-12-19 at 16:20 +0100, Sven Barth wrote:
> >> Am 18.12.2012 17:47, schrieb Thomas Schatzl:
>>> [...]
>>> Hmm... It seems that the SDK's QEMU does not emulate a ARMv6 device?
>>
> > - yes. See http://developer.android.com/tools/devices/emulator.html.
> > Btw, there is not much point to compiling for armv6 for Android. The two
> > official ABIs are either armv5te + softfloat or armv7a + vfpv3_d16
> > (maybe v2).
>
> Then I'll need to recompile for ARMv5...
>
> > - if you are really interested about doing Android development, I
> > recommend getting a developer board. The emulator is really slow. Even
> > fast developer boards are really cheap now, e.g. quad-core 1.4Ghz ARMv7
> > with 1GB RAM for 70 USD (www.hardkernel.com , search for Odroid-U). This
> > device is actually pretty decent. Otherwise use an unused phone.
>
> Currently I'm mostly checking what would be necessary to get our Windows
> Mobile application (more or less) running on Android using
> LCL-CustomDrawn. For these tests the emulator and maybe my own Phone
> should be enough for now.

If it's only android you want to evaluate, you may want to give the
i386-android target which should also work with that branch a try. This
should work if you do not need OpenGLES or something hardware specific.
I do not actually know, but there should be i386/android simulator
images available. Performance of those should be much better. :)

Thomas